'I Sowed the Seeds of Love'



As Spring is fast upon us my mind turns to gardens, greenery and love. This old, old song, from the south of England as I understand it, is close to my heart and Will and Ed's rendition here is one of my favorites despite the wind wishing to harmonize in turn.

Folk tunes are notoriously fluid in both melody and word but here is one version hewing close to the one sung above

I sowed the seeds of love,
I sowed them in the springtime,
I gathered them in the morning so fair,
When the small bird so sweetly sings,
when the small bird so sweetly sings.


My garden was planted fair
With flowers everywhere,
But I had not the liberty to choose for myself
Of the flowers that I loved so dear,
of the flowers that I loved so dear.


The gardener was standing by,
And I asked him to choose for me.
He chose for me the violet, the lily, and the pink.
But those I refused all three,
but those I refused all three.


The violet I did not like,
Because it bloomed too soon.
The lily and the pink I really overthink
So I vowed I would wait till June,
so I vowed I would wait till June.


In June grew the red, red rose,
And that is the flower for me.
But I plucked at the bud, and it drew me to blood,
Now I gaze on the willow tree,
now I gaze on the willow tree.


Oh, the willow tree will twist,
And the willow tree will twine,
Often have I wished that I were in that young man's arms
Who once was a true love of mine,
who once was a true love of mine.


O come, you false young men,
Do not leave us here to complain,
For the grass that has oftentimes been trampled underfoot,
Give it time, it will rise up again,
give it time, it will rise up again.

Comments

Popular Posts