Solomon and The Queen of Sheba

                   

Myths Subverted has just published my "Solomon and the Queen of Sheba" at Amazon here. and at alternative sites here.  The Goodreads entry is here


The tale found its inspiration not only in the brief biblical passages that speak of these personages, but also from the much thicker mist of legend surrounding the couple.

The story arose from an old belief that intrigued me: the wise king's reputation as sorcerer. More than that though remained a mystery for the ages: the name of the Queen of Sheba at once multiple and secret. It occurred to me, that, given the old law of magic holding that knowing someone's name gave power over that person, perhaps this state of affairs was something the queen herself had imposed. What if this riddling sovereign kept her name an enigma, one of the very riddles that she asked Solomon, and one he could never guess, and thereby retain her own free will and possession of her own magic and power.

A brief story, I hope nonetheless that, like the queen herself, it enchants. 









Image 1)  Nicolas of Verdun. The Verdun Altar: France,1181 , Solomon and the Queen of Sheba 


                                    Image 2)Conrad Kyeser, c 1405, Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen, 2 Cod. Ms. Philos. 63, Cim., fol. 122r


Comments

  1. Congratulations, this is amazing! I loved reading about the inspiration behind it and the Queen Of Sheba. Thank you so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! it was a pleasure to write and your comment made my day!

      Delete
  2. I like reading related genres too. Historical fiction based on mythology. The queen stance was quite intriguing. And congrats on your publishing. Xx
    Isa A. Blogger
    https://www.lifestyleprism.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! The Queen of Sheba has always fascinated me and I hope I did her justice. I do love myth oriented historical fiction - will soon be reading Joanne Harris's: Honeycomb and Orfeia.

      Delete
  3. Such a great read it is! Beautifully draftedhere

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts